Wednesday, January 25, 2017

AO 2017 QF: Serena Williams wipes Johanna Konta to make semifinals at Melbourne Park


The world nº2 raised her level almost to her best to beat Konta 6-2 6-3. 

On her route to make more history, Serena had a tough task against a very in-form Konta. The Brit is playing her best tennis winning already a title this year and a semifinal on the first week of the year. 



It was an interesting match, where Konta tried all but Serena moved so well returning almost every ball back even better. Being known for her aggressive return, the American overpowered Johanna´s serve easily to take an early advantage. She kept pushing her rival far from the baseline and grabbed the first set 6-1 in 35 minutes.

"My returns have really picked up. All around, I feel like she's a great all-around player. So I feel like I had to be on it all around today."    

Struggling with her first serve, Serena was broken very early in the second and Konta looked decisive to force a decider leading 3-1. But against Serena you never know and she´s for so many reasons the best player on tour.

"My first serve wasn't really great, but I've really been working on my second serve. Hasn't been great all tournament, so I've been kind of relying on my second serve. I've been relying on my groundstrokes, forehand, backhand." 



The 22-times Grand Slam champion came back spectacularly to take 5 games in a row to jump into another semifinal on Australian soil. 

"It was an interesting match. She's obviously a really good player. Yeah, it went pretty well for me today."  

No comments:

Post a Comment