Tuesday, January 17, 2017

AO 2017 (1R): Radwanska overcomes Pironkova at Melbourne Park

Agnieszka had to fight hard to secure a win in three sets over Pironkova 6-1 4-6 6-1. 
Despite her ranking, the Bulgarian is a remarkable opponent and knows how to beat the Polish, as she did 3 times in their 12 encounters. Their last meeting was at French Open 2016 in the 4th round, where Tsvetana stunned Radwanska. This year, they faced each other in an early stage at Aus Open, where Aga completed the win. 
Playing her usual game with few mistakes, she took a one set lead after 28 minutes. "That first set was kind of quick. I played very well, I just start very aggressively." 
In the second, the world nº64 started to find the rhythm and won a crucial break in the seventh game. Consolidating her advantage, she managed to hold serve and leveled the match. "So I think I just stepped back a little bit in the second set. Obviously, she started to play a little bit better, too." 
Going into the decider, the one who quickly ran to a 4-0 lead was the Ninja and in one hour and 44 minutes, she crossed the finish line. "I think I was just a little bit too slow, as well. Well, I think always end up like that! But I'm just really glad that I could some more good tennis in that third set and win the whole match." 
With the win, the world nº3 keeps her hopes for a first Grand Slam Title. 

No comments:

Post a Comment