Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Kasatkina stuns Kerber for the biggest win of her career at Apia International Sydney 2017

 The nineteen-years-old played her best game to defeat the world Nº1 Angelique Kerber in straight sets 7-6   6-2. During the match, Kerber couldn't find her rhythm making too many unforced errors "The first matches of the year are always tough, and I'm still not feeling my rhythm. I made too many mistakes. I was not feeling the ball." 


By keeping a very consistent play from the baseline and thanks to a late mini-break, the young Russian won the tiebreak of the first set. In the second set, Kasatkina started strong by breaking the serve of her opponent and leading 2-0. Kerber promptly responded back by leveling the score at 2-2. From there the teenager took control by winning four games in a row and closed the match after one hour and 33 minutes “I was three matches from match point against top 10 players, and today I beat No.1 in the world. So I think I am somewhere close (to the level of the top 10).” In the quarter-finals, Daria will face Johanna Konta who sent home Kasatkina´s good friend Daria Gavrilova 6-1 6-3.              

No comments:

Post a Comment