Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Eugenie Bouchard conquers Cibulkova to secure a spot in the quarterfinals at Apia International Sydney 2017

The beautiful Canadian moves into her first quarterfinals since March last year after defeating the WTA Finals Champion 6-4 6-3. The opening set was very close and Bouchard was led twice by a break but, managed to react promptly each time, and by winning the next 3 games turned the set in her favor by 6-4. "Every time I have played a match with Domi, we have had the toughest battles. I had to mentally prepare myself for that. Even though I won, to me, I could do a lot of things better. But, yeah, I'm proud of myself for just battling through and just getting through it." In the next set, ¨Genie¨ has shown that game that helped her to reach the finals of Wimbledon and the semifinals of the other 3 Grand Slam of 2014 and after one hour and 39 minutes closed the match with a backhand down the line. "I don't want to get ahead of myself. I'm happy that I get another match to keep trying to get better. I have taken a couple solid steps this week, but I'm far from where I want to be. Any time you play one of the best players in the world it's like a standard of where you're at." It was Bouchard´s  3rd consecutive win against the Slovakian and the second victory in straight sets. In the next round, the former world Nº5 will face Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova who sent home the defending champion.      

No comments:

Post a Comment