Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Defending champion eliminated by Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova who is through to quarterfinals at Apia International Sydney 2017


It was an all-Russian battle between two good friends, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova against Svetlana Kuznetsova. The defending champion looked to be on her way for another victory by breaking the serve of her rival and serving for the first set at 5-4, but Anastasia played some of her best tennis to win the next 3 games and grabbed the set by 7-5. "I think I did everything well! I wasn't serving as well as I did yesterday; I was a little upset with that, but I'm so happy that even with a lower first serve percentage, that I was able to win the match in two sets." 


In the second set, Pavlyuchenkova broke up more times the serve of her fellow player and after one hour and 38 minutes won the match 7-5 6-3. "I had zero expectations here; I was just trying to enjoy the tennis, but it's working good so far. I'm really happy, not only because she's defending champion, but also my fellow player, she's Top 10 and has had a really incredible year last year. I knew it'd be a really tough match and I was just trying to play good tennis, and take this as prep for Melbourne." In the quarterfinals, Pavlyuchenkova will face a player who never met before, the Canadian Eugenie Bouchard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment