Monday, January 16, 2017

AO 2017 (R1): Rogers produces the first shock of the tournament by sending home the 4th seed Simona Halep

It was one of the most expected and suspected first round matches because everybody knew that Rogers is capable of producing some spectacular tennis to stun a big name of tennis. On Monday, in the first match on Rod Laver Arena, she showed that kind of tennis to send home the 4th seed Simona Halep in 2 straight sets 6-3 6-1. Despite the fact, that Halep was one of the players who came very early to prepare for the first Grand Slam of the year, due to her physical conditions, she was not able to perform at her best. 


The Romanian has struggled with some pains at the end of the first set and Shelby took advantage of it by securing a one set lead in 49 minutes.  "The biggest thing I took away from that was just that I can compete with the top players in the world and I'm good enough. There are little things here and there I need to work on, but I'm here. I need to believe in myself. So I have definitely carried that away from the French Open and just been enjoying it a little bit more. There has been a lot of positive feedback, which has been nice. Just trying to keep that going." 

By keeping the same intensity and consistent game and making only 22 unforced errors and 26 of winners the American dismissed her rival. "I have always enjoyed a big crowd and people cheering. I have always loved that atmosphere. It's a little bit different playing on such a big court and then having different pressures coming from everywhere. I think I have matured a little bit and gotten used to that. It's a great part of the sport. It's a great opportunity that we have to play in front of so many people and have people cheering us on. I really appreciate it." 

As she mentioned in her interview, she got used handling different pressures playing on a big court against a big name and all that, has helped to notice her first top 5 victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment