Tuesday, January 24, 2017

AO 2017 QF: Venus conquers Pavlyuchenkova to reach first Aussie semi-final since 2003

Venus Williams impressed again with her aggressive game to take out Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in two straight set 6-4 7-6.

"I have a lot to give to the game. I feel like I have a lot of great tennis in me. So any time you feel that way, you continue. Why not? I have nothing to lose, literally."



After reaching the quarterfinals in every Major, Pavlyuchenkova looked to make one step further to access into her first semifinal. She started really well in both sets leading by one break but wasn´t able to keep it, as the American was always there to take it back excelling on the return games. Venus grabbed the first set after hitting one of her 35 winners, a backhand down to the line in 39 minutes. 



The Russian kept digging deep, pushing her rival far from the baseline and leading 4-3 but again failed to maintain the advantage, as the serve wasn´t at her best. After so many breaks, the players found a way to hold their serve to decide the winner of the second set in a tiebreak. 

There the experience of the 36-year-old was the key, playing big points in the most important moments and closed the match after Pavlyuchenkova double-faulted.

"It's wonderful to be here to start the year out with this. I want to go further! I'm not happy just with this, but I'm just happy to be in the position to go further."   

No comments:

Post a Comment