Tuesday, January 17, 2017

AO 2017 (R1): Pliskova rolls past Sorribes Tormo to move into the second round

Pliskova wasted no time to secure a spot into the second round after defeating Sorribes Tormo 6-2 6-0. The 5th seed never past by the third round at the Melbourne Park, but looked very confident to make a deep run this year or who knows, to conquer the title. 


"I've heard a few things, but I'm not thinking about this. I just don't want to get it into my head. I just want to continue in those things what I was doing the second half of the year last year and even in Brisbane. Obviously, I know that people are talking somehow, especially at Grand Slams and stuff. But it's not really important for me, these things." Unbeaten in 2017 by winning the Brisbane International Title, Karolina still found herself having bad rhytm but yet made it to a 5-1 lead in the first set. "The first round is always tricky, and I didn't feel that good in the first set there." Serving for it, she was surprised by her rival and lost the game to love, but nobody thought that this would have been the last one for the Spaniard. From there, the 2016 Us Open finalist broke back to secure the first set in 32 minutes. Despite the serve was weaker than her usual, Pliskova still manage to hit 5 aces and bageled the unseeded player in the second set to cover the victory within a mere hour on the Rod Laver Arena.   

Asked after the match about feeling pressure, she said "I feel 100 times better than I felt before the US Open. So this thing is already gone, the scariness of the second week and thinking about how I have to pass the third round. Even if I don't do it here this week, I know I have been there, so it's really different this time. It doesn't mean that I'll be in the second week of every Grand Slam for sure; it can happen that I still lose, but definitely I feel better with this pressure what I had before."

No comments:

Post a Comment