Monday, January 16, 2017

AO 2017 (R1): Muguruza survives first round scare

It was a tough opener match for the 2016 French Open Champion as she had to overcome her difficulties to beat Marina Erakovic in 2 tough sets 7-5 6-4. Garbine was the first in taking a lead by winning the serve´s opponent, but Erakovic responded back immediately to level the set at 4-4. In the eleventh game, the hard hitter broke again the serve and grabbed the first set 7-5 in 44 minutes.
"Marina and I played a couple of times and it's always a tough match. I'm happy, even with my body, that I won. It was very tough." 

The Newzealand started very strong the second set by taking advantage of Muguruza´s problems to secure a 4-1 lead, but from there the world number 7 proved once again why she is a Grand Slam champion. "It was very tough. You're playing, then suddenly you start to feel pain in your body. Obviously I was nervous, so I just tried to be calm, to have a good attitude and keep fighting for the match." 

She bounced back by winning 5 games in a row to secure a spot in the second round after one hour and 37 minutes at AO 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment